April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. It's time to talk about it. Here's why:
- One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lifetime.
- One in four victims of reported rape are of college-aged women (18-24 years old).
- Nearly 80% of women who reported being raped at some point in their life, experienced their first rape before the age of 25.
- On college campuses, most sexual assault victims (between 80-90%) knew their attacker.
- For male victims, more than 25% reported that their first rape occurred at age 10 or younger.
Last month, a high school newspaper was under scrutiny for talking about sexual assault and giving victims a place to talk. This is not supposed to happen in 2014. It's time to talk about it! Give victims a voice and reduce the environment for rapists to feel comfortable and accepted. Look for more info about ways to do this throughout April!