Disclaimer: The information, articles, and tips portrayed on this blog, while based on research, do not constitute medical advice. The opinions expressed are meant to educate and inform, but not to dictate lifestyle choices or personal beliefs. These articles are meant to provoke thought on issues surrounding college health and to inform the Hopkins community of healthy information and resources.

10.07.2011

Weekend Sip Tip: The non-drinker's guide to going out

10.07.2011
Most people come to college with the intention of getting a high GPA, meeting new people, and preparing for a great future.  Some believe the best way to accomplish these goals is by choosing to abstain from drinking alcohol.  For those that don't drink, but still like going out with friends who do- sometimes it can be tough.  If you choose not to drink and sometimes don't know what to say when someone pushes a drink in your direction, we have some suggestions for you to try.


If someone says...
"Let's do a round of shots!"
You could say...
"No thanks. Last time I did shots I puked up the rest of the night."


If someone says...
"Relax. Just have one beer."
You could say...
"I'd love to, but I have a bet with someone to see how long I can go without drinking".  (Even if that someone is yourself).


If someone says...
"Why aren't you drinking?"
You could say...
"I don't drink."  
"You should've seen me last night.  I need a break." (Even if you weren't drinking the night before). 
"I'm taking the night off." 
"I have to meet a friend really early to workout/study so I'm keeping it low key tonight."


There are lots of ways to pass up an offer to drink- what ways have you come up with that have worked?








Suggestions taken from Facts on Tap


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like lying isn't the best way to approach this if you want to continue being friends with the person offering you a drink. Why not tell the truth, and just say you don't drink/like drinking?

Anonymous said...

Saying "I'm just not drinking tonight." usually works for me. It is vague enough to be used in a variety of situations, and can be repeated as long as you want.

Anonymous said...

Well, this one is for the happy hours or places where you are being offered (or people are drinking beer)...

"I dont drink... but yeah, I drink whiskey..."

Anonymous said...

"with the intention of getting a high GPA, meeting new people, and preparing for a great future."

The people that believe that alcohol consumption is incompatible with those goals are probably moralizing. If you really want to get a high GPA, why are you going out with friends in the first place when you could be bunkered down in the MSE?

Anonymous said...

"I don't want to."

Proceed to stop talking to anyone who doesn't accept this as a valid answer.

Anonymous said...

You could say that you are taking medications (ie antibiotics). Mnay medicines are not supposed to be consumed with alcohol, and most people will stop trying to persuade you after that. Although they may ask why you are taking medication.

Anonymous said...

I once used the line "Well, I figure that a man only has so many drinks in his lifetime...and I'm saving mine up."

It did not work. Thrift in alcohol consumption is not the best policy.